Workshop update: Abingdon School is currently closed to visitors, therefore, all workshops for the foreseeable future have sadly been cancelled. We will be in touch to try and reschedule these as soon as we know the School is open to visitors again. We hope you understand, take care!
In the meantime, the Abingdon Science Partnership are re-working some of the workshops that we run in our lab into videos so that students, teachers, and families can do them wherever they are with minimal resources. They include a presentation, video demonstrations, and suggested activities, and are aimed at Key Stage 1 and 2. We hope you like them!
- Chemistry at home workshop, with lots of colourful activities, including magic milk, rainbow columns, chromatography, making an acid/alkali indicator out of red cabbage, and investigating chemical reactions:
- Levers, gears and pulleys workshops:
- Skeletons workshop, with activities on bones, joints, dislocation and dissecting an owl pellet:
- Chemical Reactions workshop with activities to develop scientific enquiry skills and knowledge of particles and factors affecting rates of reaction. For Year 5 and 6 at school or at home:
You can find all our workshop videos on the Abingdon Science Partnership’s YouTube playlist.
Please contact us if there are other topics you’d like a video workshop on, or if you’re interested in live, remote workshops, for example, via Zoom!
From the list below, please select a biology, chemistry or physics workshop on your desired date and select the specific topic when filling out the booking form. Your request will then be processed by us and you will soon receive a confirmation email. If for any reason we can no longer offer that date, we will be in touch as soon as possible. For descriptions of the content covered in each of our workshops, please visit the biology, chemistry and physics summary pages.
- The workshops are designed to last 1.5 hours. In some cases we advertise a longer block of time, this is so you can choose at what time the 1.5-hour workshop will start. In these cases, please state your desired start time using the booking form. (The latest finish time is the end time shown in the block of time advertised.)
- We have capacity for up to 30 students to take part in a practical workshop.
- If you would like to request any modifications to the workshop, e.g. duration other than 1.5 hours, please add a comment in the comments section of the booking form.
- Bookings will close 1 week before the workshop start date.
- ASP has limited capacity to offer our school minibuses and a very limited budget to hire coaches to transport groups to and from workshops. If you require transport please let us know in the comments section of the booking form and we will do our best to provide it. Please consider whether you are able to organise transport yourselves as this may free up resources/budget and help other schools who cannot. Please let us know how assistance with transport impacts you/if transport requirements prohibit your school from attending so that we can work towards improving what we offer. Contact us or fill out a short feedback form at http://bit.ly/asptransport
- If you have any questions that can’t be noted via the booking form, please do contact us.