In partnership with 13 schools in Abingdon, the University of Chile, University of Cranfield, Royal Society of Chemistry Environmental Chemistry Interest Group, Apertum and OxAir.
Funded by a Royal Society of Chemistry Grant.
Interferometry project in partnership with the University of Oxford Department of Physics.
Funded by a Royal Society Partnership Grant.
In partnership with John Mason School, Fitzharrys School, Larkmead School, Study Higher, ASDAN, and ImpactEd.
Funding provided by the Mercer’s Company.
Student project to construct a virtual version of CERN’s ATLAS detector in Minecraft in partnership with Fitzharrys School, Didcot Girls’ School, Portsmouth Grammar School, the University of Oxford Department of Physics, the University of Birmingham, and the Institute for Research in Schools.
Funded by Science and Technology Facilities Council UK and the ATLAS Outreach Group.
Wildlife monitoring project in partnership with Dr Tanesha Allen, 6 schools across Abingdon, and Science Oxford.
Funded by a Royal Society Partnership Grant.
ASP served as a science education partner and official supporter of Impelo Cymru during the development of an educational dance production on the topic of cell biology and immunology. In collaboration with the MRC Molecular Haematology Unit at the University of Oxford, Imperial College London, Larkmead School, and IF Oxford.
Presentations, articles, and publications
- The Schools Clean Air Monitoring Project in Abingdon (SCAMPA). Royal Meteorological Society Virtual Student & Early Career Scientists Conference 2021 (28 June 2021); https://www.rmets.org/sites/default/files/2021-06/student_and_early_career_scientists_conference_poster_presentation_abstracts_-_final.pdf
- STEM Clubs – Student-led STEM clubs and connecting with other schools. STEM Learning webinar (23 February 2021).
- The Schools Clean Air Monitoring Project in Abingdon (SCAMPA). Oxford Air Quality Meeting 2021 Conference (15 January 2021); https://www.oaqm.org/2021-conference
- Going South. Association for Science Education Annual Conference (7 January 2021). Presented with Holly Irving.
- Schools Together Group 4th Annual Conference Webinar (19 May 2020); https://www.schoolstogether.org/events/past-events-2019-2020/schools-together-group-virtual-meeting-may-2020/
- The Abingdon School Wildlife Monitoring Project. Association for Science Education Annual Conference (2020). In collaboration with Dr Tanesha Allen, Highly Commended in the Vice-Chancellor’s Public Engagement with Research Awards; https://www.wildcru.org/news/tanesha-allen-vc-awards/
- How do badgers respond to species-specific scents? The Royal Society Student Conference (2018). In collaboration with Dr Tanesha Allen.
- How to win friends and STEMfluence people. Stories from Science podcast (21 March 2018); https://www.storiesfromscience.co.uk/2018/03/21/how-to-win-friends-and-stemfluence-people/
- Does my journey to school affect the air I breathe? Royal Society of Chemistry News and Events https://www.rsc.org/news-events/community/2021/oct/does-my-journey-to-school-affect-the-air-i-breathe/
- A catalyst for partnership. FundEd (Spring 2021, p. 47-49); https://content.yudu.com/web/3z42w/0A3z453/FundEdSpring2021/html/index.html?page=46&origin=reader
- Schools set up to monitor Air Quality. Boarding School’s Association (26 February 2021); https://www.boarding.org.uk/media/news/article/15129/Schools-set-up-to-monitor-Air-Quality
- Students become more effective leaders through ASDAN Short Course. ASDAN (11 February 2021); https://www.asdan.org.uk/courses/case-study/Leadership-Short-Course
- Lambert, V. Caring schools. School House Magazine (2 November 2020; p. 32); https://issuu.com/countryandtownhouse/docs/s_26b-2020
- Learning science at home – independent and state school partnerships rise to the challenge. The Independent Schools Magazine (May 2020; p. 31); http://www.independentschoolsmagazine.co.uk/issues/2020-may/index.html#p=30
- Going for gold. The Ogden Trust (12 February 2020); https://www.ogdentrust.com/about-us/news/going-for-gold-1
- Tennant, A., Gabestro, I. & Yap, S. James Webb Telescope Cosmic Mining Project. Young Scientists Journal (28 September 2020): https://ysjournal.com/james-webb-telescope-cosmic-mining-project/
- House of Lords Chamber event: How can we reach a sustainable future. Royal Meteorological Society (18 December 2019); https://www.rmets.org/news/house-lords-chamber-event-how-can-we-reach-sustainable-future
- Knight group awarded the public engagement prize by centre director Professor John Todd. Wellcome Centre for Human Genetics (5 September 2019); https://www.well.ox.ac.uk/research/research-groups/julian-knight-group/research-projects/group-news/knight-group-awarded-the-public-engagement-prize-by-centre-director-professor-john-todd
- The Abingdon Science Partnership wildlife monitoring project. The Royal Society (5 October 2018); https://royalsociety.org/blog/2018/10/the-abingdon-science-partnership-wildlife-monitoring-partnership/
- Minecraft helps Abingdon school science team reach Tes award final. Oxford Mail (2 May 2018); https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/16199222.minecraft-helps-abingdon-school-science-team-reach-tes-award-final/
- Successful science partnership shortlisted for TES schools awards 2018. Science Oxford (20 April 2018); https://scienceoxford.com/successful-science-partnership-shortlisted-for-tes-schools-awards-2018/
- Making science matter. School House Magazine (2018); https://www.schoolhousemagazine.co.uk/education/making-science-matter/
- Thomas, J. Stop the Spread…a CREST Discovery Award activity from Practical Action. Education in Science, 270, 24 (November 2017); https://www.ase.org.uk/resources/education-science/issue-270/stop-spreada-crest-discovery-award-activity-practical-action
Thomas, J.P. et al, (2021) ‘Science in the Wild’, School Science Review,Issue 382, Association for Science Education. https://www.ase.org.uk/resources/school-science-review/issue-382/science-in-wild